Floating objects (\placetable, \placefigure, ... and footnotes, etc.) do not
inherit the text background, for indeed, imagine that it floats to another
location.

Here, you use location=force, so one might expect it to use the text
background... In fact, side floats, location=left and location=right, do get
the text background color, so there is a *kludge* possible there:

\startplacetable [location=right]
\stopplacetable

\flushsidefloats

(incomplete example)

Alan

P.S. Hans: maybe location=force ought to work similarly with respect to text
backgrounds as location=left or location=right.