On 9/18/18 7:57 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 9/16/2018 10:28 AM, Henri Menke wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I want to draw paths between points which are bent by a certain angle.
>> The code in the MWE below works well but I was thinking that the expert
>> here can surely improve it and suggest a nicer syntax.
> looks like a challenge for Alan ... isn't it also a bit 3d (2.5d)?

I wasn't thinking about a 3D application here, just a little bend on the
path to go around other elements in my drawing without having to think
about explicit control points (like the second example in my original
post).  In the meantime I have improved the defintion of the macro to
avoid double computation of the angle:

    vardef bend(expr a,b,phi) =
        save x ;
        x := angle(b-a) ;
        a{dir(x+phi)} .. {dir(x-phi)}b
    enddef ;

So currently the applied syntax is

    drawarrow bend(z1, z2, 30) ;

However, I would prefer something like

    drawarrow z1 bend(30) z2 ;

I'm not sure whether this is possible though.  Actually I'm reading the
MetaPost manual right know because my MP skills are rather poor.