You would use the \itemtag command in the same way as you would do it with tabulate

\starttext

\startitemize[n]
\bTABLE
    \bTR
        \bTD (\itemtag) Item 1 \eTD
    \eTR
\eTABLE
\stopitemize

\stoptext

but there is a bug which prevents the item counter to appear in the output (which I will report in a different thread).

Wolfgang