Hi,

I solve the same problem for ages... I decided for fixed time points related
with new edition of TeXlive.

Advantages:

TeXlive versions (from my point of view) are most stable.
You really can compile your files repeatedly getting the same result.

Disadvantages:

You have to store all TeXlive editions.
All TeXlive editions are space demanding.
You have make notes on your files/projects which version was used.
You cannot use new features if you are going to refresh the project.

This is my way but maybe there is something better.
[I work ConTeXt since 2010 and only with MkIV.]

Best wishes,

Tomas