> On 2 Dec 2018, at 19:01, Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> This super/supscript stuff is a bit more tricky because when a superscript 2
> is in the font, and a superscript 3 isn't, using a fake ^3 alongside that ^2
> quite certainly will look bad because the 2 is normally of a different design
> that a scaled down 2, so one then has to replace them all. Then there is the
> question of scale and move (up/down).

This issue shows up with the STIX and STIX2 fonts, as the former has the
superscript digits ¹ ² ³, but not the other which came to Unicode later in a
different range.

> Although I have some experiemntal (font) magic on my computer it will
> probably take till next year before it will show up in a beta.

I use the code below, which seems fine, as the two fonts are close to each
other. But it seems that one cannot add [force=yes] to ensure they all come
from the same font as on the command \definefontfallback. This command would
otherwise be good to pick replacements for certain glyphs.

\definefallbackfamily [mainface] [serif] [stixtwotext]
[range={00B2-00B3,00B9,02070-0208F}]
\definefallbackfamily [mainface] [mono] [stixtwotext]
[range={00B2-00B3,00B9,02070-0208F}]
\definefallbackfamily [mainface] [math] [stixtwomath]
[range={00B2-00B3,00B9,02070-0208F}]
\definefontfamily     [mainface] [serif] [stix]
\definefontfamily     [mainface] [mono] [stix]
\definefontfamily     [mainface] [math] [stix]