On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 23:34:58 -0500
Rik Kabel <cont...@rik.users.panix.com> wrote:

> On 12/7/2018 22:51, Alan Braslau wrote:
> > You can place references rendered as you need, not necessarily in
> > one single bibliography list, but they must be rendered somewhere,
> > otherwise numbering and cross-referencing is meaningless. In the
> > case of footnote references, each footnote contains a rendering
> > (not a citation) of a fragment of the list.
> >
> > You are thinking too much in a standard frame, and I'm not sure what
> > you want to accomplish.
> >
> > One "other use" case that I make is a catalog of hundreds of
> > mesophases. I "cite" them and their various properties throughout
> > the text, an my "list rendering" has become an index.
> >
> > Alan
> >
> I would like simply to prepare a paper structured like the one found
> at https://tannerlectures.utah.edu/Greenblatt%20Lecture.pdf. There is
> no biblography; there are bibliographic references in footnotes.
> There is no interaction. The only cross-references are the footnote
> indices.
>
> If I could in addition pull in blocks of text from a secondary
> database, that is lagniappe. Neither function requires rendering in a
> separate list or lists.
>
> Certainly ConTeXt's bibliographic subsystem should be capable of
> supporting such a basic format as that, but I can see no way to get
> it to do so.

As I wrote, "rendering" to footnotes as elements of a "list" can be
done, and your cross-reference *is* the footnote index. We have not
written setups that do this already as I have never needed this format
myself, although it is rather common in certain fields.

"Pulling-in" blocks of text in general (without a basis) is not the aim.
Again, the entire point is to associate fields to an entry, and the
notion of a "list" is more general than a traditional bibliography list.