On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 23:50:24 +0100
Peter Münster <p...@a16n.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 18 2019, Alan Braslau wrote:
>
> > Incorrect, an image file contains width and height (in pixels) as well as a
> > resolution,
>
> Optionally a resolution in the metadata. Then, of course, you have a
> "natural size". But that doesn't matter, if you want other dimensions.

For example, in Context

\externalfigure [myfigure]

should give this natural size. Of course, you can always specify other
dimensions,
in which case it gets scaled. Since what counts for our use in Context is
usually
fixing a particular size, i.e. [width=\textwidth], the "resolution", i.e.
density
in pixels is something that we want to control. So if we want to print to 300
dpi,
for example, and we have a text width of 17cm, say, then we would like to have
an
image that is some 2000 pixels in width. One can normalize one's collection of
images however one wishes, but manipulating them on the fly as one changes
layout
or image placement hardly seems efficient, even if one were to be clever in
storing
copies and looking at time stamps. A little bit of forethought might be better,
and
more predictable.

Alan