Marco Patzer schrieb am 21.02.19 um 12:19:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 10:50:21 +0000
Ursula Hermann <ursula.herm...@univie.ac.at> wrote:

Here is my example:

\setuppapersize[A5]
\setupcolors[state=start]
This is the default, no need to start the colours any longer.

{\framed
    [width=10cm,
    background=color,backgroundcolor=darkblue,
    foreground=color,foregroundcolor=white,
    align={flushleft}]
{The Earth, as a habitat for animal life, is in old age and has a
fatal illness. Several, in fact.\par \setupindenting[yes, small]
It would be happening whether humans had ever evolved or not.

\externalfigure[cow.pdf][width=1cm]}

\setupwhitespace[small]
\starttext
Below, we have two separate columns; but up here, for the nonce, we
have but the one.

\startcolumns[n=2]  % Two columns, please
     Text, text, text \dots
     all in the first column
\column
     Words, words, words \dots
    all in the second column.
     And look ye here! Even more words!
\stopcolumns
\stoptext
Why can‘t I see the cow?
You're missing

   \setupexternalfigures
     [location=default]

Without setting the location context doesn't check the system
directories for the sample images.

Furthermore, you're typesetting before \starttext. That's why your
font is monospaced.

And I try to separate content from style. That's why I move all
style information before \starttext and after \starttext comes only
content and markup (if possible). Nothing wrong with mixing it, but
it's easier to read and easier to change the layout after the fact.
I'd write your example as follows.

\setuppapersize
   [A5]

\setupexternalfigures
   [location=default]

\setupindenting
   [yes, small]

\setupwhitespace
   [small]

\defineframedtext
   [prettyblock]
   [width=10cm,
    indenting={yes, small},
    background=color, backgroundcolor=darkblue,
    foreground=color, foregroundcolor=white,
    offset=2mm,
    align=flushleft]

\starttext

\startprettyblock
   \noindentation

You don’t need \noindentation when you add “next” to the indenting options.

Wolfgang