On 3/14/2019 10:00 AM, Henri Menke wrote:
On 3/14/19 8:49 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
On 3/14/2019 5:56 AM, Henri Menke wrote:

Dear list,

Something has changed in MetaFun and it can no longer be used in plain
LuaTeX,
with neither of

      luatex test.tex
      mtxrun --script plain test.tex

This is the error:

      >> LUATEXFUNCTIONALITY
      >> "mp.print(LUATEXFUNCTIONALITY)"
      ! Equation cannot be performed (numeric=string).

hm, that can be

mp.print(LUATEXFUNCTIONALITY or 0)

but ... i'm surprised you can use metafun in plain at all ... i never
test that and to be honest am not too motivated to support mpiv code in
generic either .. better use

Until TeX Live 2018, MetaFun worked in plain (at least the subset I'm
using).  It would be a shame if the support would end.  I also think
that there are quite a number of users.  The number of posts on TeX
Stack Exchange mentioning luamplib with metafun is not negligible.
https://tex.stackexchange.com/search?q=mplibsetformat

ok, as long as no one expects me to check functionality in plain usage

things like special colors and shading and some font related options won't work, so in that case the stand alone graphics are better

(there are quite some metafun macros that assume the lua extensions that context provides and some upcoming extra modules, for sure will not work in plain ... no problem as long as these macros are not used ...)

I (and probably a lot of other people) would really appreciate if you
could apply Luigi's fix, so we can continue do enjoy MetaFun, even
outside ConTeXt.
i'll comment the line