Am 2019-03-19 um 16:34 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl>:

> On 3/19/2019 4:23 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>> Am 2019-03-19 um 13:23 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl>:
>>> On 3/18/2019 7:45 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>>> from one of the manuals ...
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>>
>>> \definecolor [my-blue]   [c=1,m=.38,y=0,k=.64] % pms 2965 uncoated m
>>> \definecolor [my-yellow] [c=0,m=.28,y=1,k=.06] % pms  124 uncoated m
>>>
>>> \definespotcolor [my-blue-100]   [my-blue]   [p=1]
>>> \definespotcolor [my-yellow-100] [my-yellow] [p=1]
>>> \definespotcolor [my-blue-50]    [my-blue]   [p=.5]
>>> \definespotcolor [my-yellow-50]  [my-yellow] [p=.5]
>>>
>>> \definemultitonecolor [my-mix] [my-blue=.12,my-yellow=.28]
>>> [c=.1,m=.1,y=.3,k=.1]
>> So it works only with toned or multitone colors and only with _some_
>> greyscale pictures, not with bitmaps and also not with my greyscale dodo.
>
> It uses an indexed (256 so one byte) image ... coloring a cow is no option
> anyway as there the pdf object is an independent thing (i could probably
> inject color directives if needed but that could then interfere with the way
> such a pdf stream is set up.

I didn’t expect PDF to work (I remember colored cows, but those were probably
MP), and I must analyze why your greyscale PNG works and not mine.

>> I can also only use one version my-blue – if I use my-blue-100, then
>> my-blue-50 stays grey, and if I only use my-blue-50, it’s the same tone as
>> 100.
>> Something’s very fishy.
> Could be but it's actually more a gimmick as we can't really mess to much
> with the internals of images (they can have masks, palettes, etc etc).

Understood. But colorizing grey pictures is a nice feature that I’m used to use
in InDesign (and in QuarkXPress earlier).

> Later this year there might be other tricks on our sleeves but I'm not going
> to touch the code now.

I’m looking forward to those.

Since I’m working at my ConTeXt book again, I’m researching which parameters
and features actually work and how. This looks like a case that I won’t include
in the book but only document in the wiki.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
https://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net