On 4/16/2019 6:28 AM, Alan Braslau wrote:
On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 23:11:17 -0400
Mohammad Hossein Bateni <bat...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

ConTeXt used to recover better from errors.  Consider the following file:

=============
\xyz
\abc

\starttext
HELLO
\stoptext
=============

Running  ConTeXt  ver: 2019.03.21 21:39 MKIV beta  fmt: 2019.3.26  int:
english/english would catch both "Undefined control sequence" errors before
exiting with the message "mtx-context     | fatal error: return code:
256".  (I either press enter to move to the next error, or I use the
--nonstopmode option.)

this 'go to next error' instead of 'fix it now' dates from the time when a run could take hours and the console (often) was a paper terminal so then it made sense to collect a couple of errors and / or go on

for a large macro package like context where an error nearly always will lead to a bad output file it makes not much sense ... fix the error and rerun ...

Now with ConTeXt  ver: 2019.04.13 17:01 MKIV beta  fmt: 2019.4.15  int:
english/english, even when I do not supply the --nonstopmode option,
ConTeXt exits abnormally with the same error message right after
discovering the first undefined control sequence.  The old "?" TeX prompt
allowing once to fix the misspellings, etc. does not appear at all.

Has some defaults changed?  Is it possible to get the old behavior?

Thanks,
~MHB

I much prefer the new behavior, for the previous prompt was pretty useless and
there was little point going on without correcting an earlier error.
Furthermore, the model would often leave a furtive process running in the
background following a keyboard interrupt (especially on Mac OSX). The new
process does not do this.
Indeed and on all platforms tex could end up in a state of 'hanging somewhere around in the background' (enforcing some hard manual kill) which then also locks files (like the output file).

This is way more robust (and i should have done it sooner). If you don't want it you can disable it (but you're on your own then):

\disabledirectives[system.quitonerror]

There are also oler options, like

\enabledirectives[system.showerror]

which could pop up a browser and alike. (I'm actually considering dropping the interactive mode completely or maybe replacing it by a lua driven one if i need it, which i never do.)