On Sat, 20 Apr 2019, Gilles Waeber wrote:

Hi,
I'm trying to create a style with a left border in the margin.

I want the border to start and stop with the text. For the bottom I used
framedepth but the bar still goes too far on the top?

\showframe
\showboxes
\defineframedtext[leftbartext][
        width=broad,
        frame=off,
        leftframe=on,
        rulethickness=.5ex,
        offset=-\framedparameter{rulethickness},
        frameoffset=\dimexpr\leftmargindistance +
\framedparameter{rulethickness}\relax,
        framedepth=-\framedparameter{frameoffset},
]
\starttext
\startleftbartext
\input knuth
\stopleftbartext
\stoptext

Framed does not provide enough hooks to control the spaces. For something like this, you can also use metapost to draw the background:

\showframe
\showboxes
\defineframedtext[leftbartext][
        width=broad,
        frame=off,
        rulethickness=.5ex,
        background=mp:offsetframe,
        offset=overlay,
]

\defineoverlay[mp:offsetframe][\useMPgraphic{mp:offsetframe}]

\startuseMPgraphic{mp:offsetframe}
  draw leftboundary OverlayBox
        xshifted -(LeftMarginDistance + 0.5OverlayLineWidth)
        withpen pencircle scaled OverlayLineWidth;
  setbounds currentpicture to OverlayBox;
\stopuseMPgraphic

\starttext
\startleftbartext