Our workflow is not settled yet; we're still discussing options. All
depends upon what is possible ...

That being said, for the purpose of displaying the articles online we'll
need every article in a separate XML file. The question is if and how we
will produce a PDF version containing a whole volume (we'll probably need
one PDF for the whole volume and also PDFs for each article).

One option would be:
- merge the articles into a single XML,
- typeset from there
- split the PDF
(Hence my question here,
https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2019/095011.html).

Another option could be:
- Typeset each article individually.
- Get the last page number => in the next article, set the first page
number to this + 1
(So, we do not necessarily need to write the page numbers back to the XML,
but we'll somehow need to pass the page number to the next article in the
chain.)