Dear Wolfgang,

I've made an MWE. It seems that once I changed the layout, the output would be
a little strange:
* The edgefigure (default=outer) on the odd pages can't be moved to the margin.
Those on the even pages are fine as long as I use
"leftmargindistance=-\innercombitotal"
* the marginfigure (default={outermargin, hanging}) on the odd pages are fine,
but those on the even pages have a weird offset.
* by the way, the offset of the marginfigure on the even pages are the same as
the edgefigure on the even pages if I set "leftmargindistance=-\outercombitotal"

I managed to make the marginfigure work by adding (just in this case)
  leftmargindistance=\dimexpr\outercombitotal-\innercombitotal\relax,
 rightmargindistance=0pt

But I could never make edgefigure work. Its different behavior on odd and even
pages really bothers me.

Although the output is acceptable now, I'm still concerned that the settings
are not logical (to a human being). I'm afraid that one day it won't work out
like that.

Here's the MWE:
\showframe

\setuppagenumbering
 [alternative=doublesided]
\definepapersize
 [911]
 [width=9in,
 height=11in]
\setuppapersize
 [911]
\setuplayout
 [backspace=1in%
 ,leftmargin=.5in%
 ,leftmargindistance=0.25in%
 ,width=5.5in%
 ,rightmargindistance=0.25in%
 ,rightmargin=2in%
 ]

\definefloat
 [edgefigure]
 [figure]
\setupfloat
 [edgefigure]
 [rightmargindistance=-\outercombitotal
 ,leftmargindistance=-\innercombitotal
 ,default={outer,low,high,none}]

\definefloat
 [marginfigure]
 [figure]
\setupfloat
 [marginfigure]
 [default={outermargin,hanging,none}]

\startbuffer[fitframe]
\framed[width=\rightmarginwidth,height=.6\rightmarginwidth,framecolor=darkgreen]{\tt
 width=rightmarginwidth}
\stopbuffer

\startbuffer[wideframe]
\framed[width=2\rightmarginwidth,height=.6\rightmarginwidth,framecolor=darkred]{\tt
 width=2*rightmarginwidth}
\stopbuffer

\starttext

\chapter{edge}