On 8/2/2019 11:59 PM, Alan Braslau wrote:
On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 23:36:47 +0200
Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.li...@gmail.com> wrote:

we have a lot or areas ... and if you really want you can do this ...

\setuplayouttext

Has been there for ages ... (but I never use that method).

I has the same question a few years ago but I never used it
because it has a few limitations like missing style/color support.

I am looking for a simple and obvious way of setting header and footer
texts. The \setupheadertexts has limitations and I view this as
historical, for ConTeXt commands have evolved over time usually towards
better solutions, even if we leave in place for reasons of backward
compatibility habits that can be hard to quit.

One example is \setuppapersize [page=letter,paper=letter]
(sorry, and I *do* much prefer A4).
This is, I believe, far superior to \setuppapersize [letter] [letter]

Do you find that keys in \setupheader make sense? If so, what choice?
(as we like to limit the proliferation of key names).
actually there is not really a \setupheader as these are shortcuts to a few kind of generic commands that set up properties of these areas (a matrix) on the one hand, and set the content with a different command

(also, this part of context is quite optimized deep down because checking 25 areas for all possible properties each page flush is costly, so it would be a major rewrite with little gain; it would also mean dropping \setuphead etc and using one command for everything ... not something i want to do in the middle of other transitions like mkiv->mkxl and such)

hans