Dear list members,

how can I create cross references to column numbers?

I have a two column layout with column numbers in the header instead of page numbers (actually, these column numbers are calculated from the page numbers). Now I want to create a cross reference that returns the column number of the target. How can I achieve this?

Of course, I can get the page number with \pagereference (for the target) and \at (for the reference), but for calculating the column number (according to what I did in the header), I would also need to know whether the target is in the left or in the right column, and I can't see how I can get this information.

For an example, see the question posted by me at stackexchange:
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/502944/context-cross-references-to-column-numbers

Besides, I am wondering, regarding the generally very regular and consistent naming of commands in ConTeXt, why this is not so in the case of references. For example, to refer to a page, I need \pagereference (for the target) and \at (for the reference); to refer to a line, I need \someline (for the target) and \inline (for the reference), but only if I want it to automatically add the word "line" or something else before the number, otherwise I have to use \inlinerange. It took me some time to find that out. Wouldn't it be easier to have just one command for the target and another one for the reference, and everything else, as counters and headers to be returned, text to be added etc. to be configured by options?

Best regards,
Oliver.