Well, this was total waste of space from my part. When I found a
working file in a different project and copied the code over I
realized that my problem code should never have worked: I had
\setuppagenumber[stop] when I should have had
\setuppagenumber[state=stop]. Adding "state=" to my non-working code
solved all the problems and page numbering works the way I want to
have it.

And, as Wolfgang explained, I really don't need
\setuppagenumber[state=start] in the beginning of bodymatter, so now I
can even clean up my code a bit. Thank you, Wolfgang, I think I
understand blocks better now.

Mari