On 8/10/2019 10:14, Hans Hagen wrote:
On 8/10/2019 2:25 PM, Jan Ulrich Hasecke wrote:
Hi all,

Visiting a museum in Straßburg I saw an old book from Gutenbergs times where the first word of the next page was printed below the last line of the current page.

The word, sometimes only a syllable of the first word from the next page, is called catchword or Kustode. They used it to ensure that they bind the pages in
the right order.

I think that it can also be of help if you read a book.

Is this possible with ConTeXt?
not that hard to implement if really needed

Here is a vote for implementing it. I find myself writing catchwords by hand on speeches I have to give. An automated system of generating them would be most welcome.

I suggest that they should optionally be sensitive to the page spread. That is, for two-sided documents there should be an option to print them only on recto pages. Perhaps some tuning for length, defaulting to one word, as well. Placement is traditionally in the bottom inside of the outside margin (directly below the text block, flush right).

I do not know if this practice is found in RTL languages, but I do not see why it would not be adaptable to them as well.

--
Rik