> Am 2019-11-29 um 12:31 schrieb Marco Patzer <li...@homerow.info>:
>
> On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 12:10:46 +0100
> Henning Hraban Ramm <te...@fiee.net> wrote:
>
>> The problem seems to be that traditional mailing lists like this just
>> don’t work with modern security standards.
>>
>> I didn’t check how secure NTG’s mail server is configured, but
>> changing subject and sender of every message is regarded harmful. Not
>> doing that would mean that:
>> * I can’t filter mails (visually or rule based) by subject any more.
>
> Sorting can easily be done using other headers , e.g. “List-Id”.

I know. That’s why I wrote "visually" and "by subject". If I must resolve to a
webmailer where I didn’t setup all of my mail sorting rules, the visual clue of
[Somelist] in the subject or at least a common sender helps a lot. And most
people whose computers I get to see don’t sort their mails automatically (of
course those usually also don’t subscribe to mailing lists like this).

E.g. MacPorts list doesn’t modify sender or subject line and doesn’t add a
footer – it’s hard to see that the messages belong to a mailing list.

>> * A lot of replies would only go to the sender.
>
> Very true.
>
>> * The connection of threads would get lost.
>
> Why? Threads are arranged by the “References” and “In-Reply-To”
> headers which are not modified.

Since some users don’t reply to the list, the threads get broken all the time.

Best, Hraban