Am 10.12.19 um 08:50 schrieb Nicola:
> On 2019-12-10, Jan U. Hasecke <juh+ntg-cont...@mailbox.org> wrote:

> Thanks, I didn't think of Pandoc, I'll give it a try. In the past,
> I have tried to create some simple content (slides) with Markdown, but
> my conclusion was that if you know TeX, it doesn't make sense to use
> Markdown :)
>
> Perhaps this is a silly question (excuse my ignorance about the topic):
> what if you want to add some stylistic touches to your ebooks, such as
> initials? Or Non-breaking spaces? How about adding, say, a text box with
> a different background and a smaller font?

Ebooks are xhtml so styles are limited to the capabilities of css. I
fear that initials has to be left flowing images.

>                                ***
>
> Or fine control page numbering, headers, footnotes, ligatures, or the
> spacing between paragraphs, or center a separator as above? Do you need
> to modify the generated CSS for that, or would ConTeXt (or Pandoc)
> allow you to take care of (some of) those things?

No page numbers in E-Books and I would avoid headers. Footnotes are
endnotes. Ligatures might be possible if directly inserted, sorry never
tried this in an ebook.

You can modify the css to achieve what is possible in xhtml, though.

I have to confess that I never managed to create an ebook with context
right aways. AFAIK, please correct me Hans, you end up with an epub
folder not the compressed epub itself. I would guess that it is a good
thing if you want to postprocess the book manually by editing content
files or css.

What I can say about epub generally is: It's better to avoid fancy
styling at all and use the default fonts and styles of the ebook devices.

HTH
juh