> Am 2020-01-11 um 19:49 schrieb Rik Kabel <cont...@rik.users.panix.com>:
> For what it is worth, here is how I address this. This lets me place
> epigraphs on the facing verso of a chapter, or under the section title, and
> set lettrines and first line treatment for chapters. I set page numbers in a
> separate overlay to better control the positioning. Perhaps a bit
> overthought, but it works for me ...

Here’s my approach. Right/left stuff and placement is good, but I get always
the extra contents of the previous chapter, i.e. “Another Fancy Story” gets the
subtitle/quote from “My Fancy Story”, while “My Fancy Story” doesn’t show
anything.
Is that why you used buffers?
Since I only need two user settings (image name and quote), only one in the
example, I’d like to avoid a buffer for every chapter.

\startsetups FancyChapter
  \setupheadertexts[][][][]
  \doifnot{\structureuservariable{subtitle}}{}{
    \doifoddpageelse
      {\page[left]}
      {\donothing}
    {\definedfont[SerifItalic at 16pt]\structureuservariable{subtitle}\par}
    \externalfigure[dummy][width=\textwidth]
  }
  \page[right]
\stopsetups

\setupheadertexts[][pagenumber][pagenumber][chapter]
\setuphead[chapter][
  page=yes,
  before={\directsetup{FancyChapter}},
]

\completecontent

\startchapter[title={My Normal Text}]
\input knuth
\stopchapter

\startchapter[title={My Fancy Story}]
[subtitle={\quotation{I thought that was real.}}]
\input tufte
\stopchapter

\startchapter[title={Another Fancy Story}]
[subtitle={\quotation{Never mind the bollocks.}}]
\input zapf
\stopchapter

\startchapter[title={Another Normal Text}]
\input knuth
\stopchapter

\stoptext

Best, Hraban