Arthur :
>   I think it happened at about the same time for English.  Before that
> it was pretty universal.  See
> https://archive.org/details/worksbenjaminfr06spargoog/page/n12 for just one
> example.
>
>   (The thin space in that example is really thin! -- but it’s definitely
> there)

Exactly. And this is precisely the thin space still required in French
publications. The main disagreement among French typographs (about twenty years
ago, at least) was about the fixed vs relative width of this thin space : put
in TeX’s terms, should it be proportional to the glue or to the font ?

I think I’d better write an article about this, with quotes and visual
examples.

Greetings

Thomas Savary
1 le Grand-Plessis