On 2/15/2020 10:02 PM, Mikael P. Sundqvist wrote:
On Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 9:50 PM Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl <mailto:j.ha...@xs4all.nl>> wrote:

    On 2/15/2020 4:34 PM, Mikael P. Sundqvist wrote:
     > Hi,
     >
     > One can easily enable small caps when using lucida, see the old mail
     > https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2018/090997.html .
     >
     > Could this be added to the type script file?

    best use \smallcaps or somethign equivalent

Ah, so it was the \sc that was the problem. Thanks!
\sc is more somthing mkii ... when type1 fonts (in an 8 bit universum) smallcaps and oldstyle and such meant using a different font

nowadays one can turn them on/off as features and when you need them a lot you can even define an extra bodyfont variant from them and switch to that one when needed

now, when smallcaps and oldstyle etc became features instead of font properties that didn't mean it always became easier because when opentype came around there was no 'recipe' or possibility to define what is default; for instance some fonts default to oldstyle in the sense that these shapes are in the default slots and you need to turn them off instead; also one needs to keep in mind that some features are language / script dependent and fonts differ in what they do default

summary: see smallcaps as features but always look at what the font assumes and does by default; be prepared for inconsistencies (after all this is why we want/need control over what context does with a font)