Hi juh,

it doesn’t make sense to use device profiles of any printshop, since all the
printshops in most of Europe are supposed to standardize on Euroscale CMYK (ISO
Coated FOGRA##) while in the USA they use SWOP CMYK and in Japan their own
standard. So you can stay with the same profiles as long as you stay on the
continent.

The main difference in CMYK profiles is in relation to the general kind of
paper: coated or uncoated or maybe newspaper / web offset.
(Web offset = Rollenoffset, no relation to the www / Coated = gestrichen,
Bilderdruck / Uncoated = ungestrichen, Werkdruck/Naturpapier)

The difference between FOGRA27 and 39 is marginal, AFAIK. Use the latter.

If you use properly profiled RGB images, the printshop’s workflow software
should convert them properly and consistently.

Conversion of CMYK colors (e.g. Euroscale to SWOP) is a serious problem,
though. AFAIK the separation method (UCR/GCR) is not part of any standard.
Often I want some device dependent CMYK tone (like deep black: 30/0/0/100); if
you convert that via L*a*b (even back to the same profile) you might get a 4c
tone that’s harder to print and might look less clean, even if the measurable
hue is the same.

That means you should keep your photos in (profiled) RGB. Probably best use
sRGB to stay device independend, because that’s default for monitors, even if
printshops like Adobe RGB or one of the profiles that shrink the RGB color
space to printable colors.

For type and logos I still rely on (device dependend) CMYK colors and my
experience how they’ll come out in Euroscale printing.
For an international project that should print the same e.g. in the US, in
Europe and in Japan, I’d use differently defined graphics or Pantone spot
colors. (I guess Pantone is the one spot color system that will work
world-wide, even if HKS is still usual in Germany and Toyo in Japan.)
It could also work to use spot colors and have the printshop convert them to
“their” CMYK profile.

Colors that you define in TeX or Metapost are a different problem. I *think*
they should use the output intent as their profile. But I don’t know if the
intent option of \setupcolors and/or \setupbackend really works this way. (My
only means to check was Acrobat Pro 9, and that won’t run on a current macOS
any more.)

Hope that helps a bit and doesn’t confuse you more…

Color management *is* hard.

Best, Hraban