Thank you Wolfgang,

Now is there a way to persuade the quotation marks to protrude?

Cheers,

Michael

\startsetups[userdata:extendedquotation]
   \startnarrow[]
     “\getinlineuserdata”\userdataparameter{source}
   \stopnarrow
\stopsetups

\defineuserdataalternative
   [extendedquotation]
   [renderingsetup=userdata:extendedquotation]

\defineuserdata
   [extendedquotation]
   [alternative=extendedquotation,
    before=\blank,
    after=\blank]

\starttext

\input tufte \blank

\startquotation  %% Quotation marks protrude
  \input tufte
\stopquotation

\startuserdata[extendedquotation][source=\footnote{See Tufte …}]  %%
Quotation marks do not protrude
  \input tufte
\stopuserdata

\stoptext