On 10. Apr 2020, at 14:49, Christoph Hintermüller <christ...@out-world.com>
wrote:

Please increase the USB of ConTeXt by improoving the xml/xhtml exporter
backend by allowing modules to hook into it, defining how the contotent
should be processed and what css attributes the corresponding tags
should receive.

Second i noticed that even in verbatim the line numbers are not on the
line they number but are, due to late injections printed on an empty
line in xhtml. Needs improvement here too.

All the above and some more forces me to push my plans to publish my
lecture notes on programming as pdf and epub to likely next year. And
helping in Improvement is for now not an option too me for now, exempt
maybe lateron in testing.

Happy Easter.

What, precisely, was the point of this long message?
Indeed. the exporter is just a reconstructor of content so the better structured, the better the export, and the trickier the rendering the worse. Also, one can if needed add tags, add attributes etc etc but don't expect me to keep track of all modules and user stuff and add export specififcs. Of course I can make some aspects better but i never needed epub so far.

Then, given an export, one can use xslt or whatever, of have one's own css as there is no common ground for rendering idiologies. Ever yuser wants something different.

That said: the best multi-output stuff comes from good neutral input and for instance xml is more suitable for that than tex encoded input. I'm currently doing just that: making some css for rather extensive kind of free xml based content (mostly because i have nothing better todo right now).

In the end it all boils down to 'does it pay off' in terms of 'useability', 'neccessity' and 'the fun of it'. We're talking of free software so no one can demand something, only request.

Suggestion for Christoph: look at what Thomas has done for a long time now: one input (often quite advanced) and multiple output for publishing ane educational purposes. And it looks pretty good too.