On 4/19/2020 12:44 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

Am 19.04.2020 um 11:57 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl>:

As a side note: a while ago mojca and i discussed the future repository and
installation setup which will use github repositories

(1) - context (including luametatex sources)
(2) - binaries (for a subset of platforms)
(3) - resources (like fonts and such)
(4) - modules (stable ones pushed from the main garden repos)

but we simply didn't find time to follow up on that. We have to adapt
installers too and we want to do it right from the start.

Now, we're not in a particular hurry, but in playing with all this it can
happen that the current distributions get flaws.

(As a side effect the more or less official release of luametatex has been
postponed a few times because it depends on (1) which in turn depends on
pushing older context distributions etc. But then, due to the current health
crisis, time has slowed down anyway.)

Sounds good. Is documentation part of (3) or can it be another section?

It's part of (1) as it is now but of course we can have an additional one (5) for extra documentation.

While I want to install "everything" on my work machine, it would make sense to
restrict a server installation (or a beta version for tests) to the bare minimum (without
docs, but maybe with fonts).

Nowadays even 'everything' is not that much is it? not compared to the whole of tex live. There was a time that a tex installation was considered large but nowadays many single task programs come with a larger installation.

I also would very much appreciate to be able to install older versions (like "in the
old times") to check when some changes happened. Git repositories serve the same
purpose, probably even better.

I’d suggest to keep those sections in separate repositories and install them as
texmf-context, texmf-fonts, texmf-docs or the like (similar to the current state, but
selectable). Git submodules *should* work to combine several repos, but the
implementation has flaws (e.g. "git submodule update" tries to access all
submodules at once, and if you must enter credentials, the prompts get mixed up).
Basically we're talking

(1) texmf-context    (tex, mp, lua sources, documentation, luametatex code)
(2) texmf-<platform> (luametatex and luatex bin)
(3) texmf            (mostly fonts as it is now)
(4) texmf-modules    (from the garden)

and if you want

(5) texmf-docs

but context documentation goes into texmf-context.

We're not going top be too clever ... these systems come and go (as do some 'standards') so any installation model should be simple kind of 'copy/fetch something' (with no dependencies on anything we don't have in the repository either, apart from a compiler is one wants to compile luametatex for some platform we don't provide).

Keep in mind that for specific usage demands are too different so all we can do is provide what there is.

Also keep in mind that too much split also makes for tricky dependencies, for instance binaries are the latest so when you want an older context - something that you can do now too when you use the existing github repository - you have to make sure you have the right binary. This is why (1) will have the engine source code: integrity (don't worry the source code compresses to < 2 meg and uncompressed is less that some of these large fonts).

Anyway, once we have it we can always make clever installers. Actually when you want to go real small it's easier to just install and wipe what you don't need.