Gerben Wierda schrieb am 01.05.2020 um 18:19:
On 1 May 2020, at 16:02, Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.li...@gmail.com <mailto:wolfgang.schuster.li...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Gerben Wierda schrieb am 01.05.2020 um 13:58:
\definetypeface [optima] [ss] [sans] [optima] [default]
\definetypeface [optima] [rm] [serif] [optima] [default]
\definetypeface [optima] [tt] [mono] [modern] [default]
\definetypeface [optima] [mm] [math] [optima] [default]
\setupbodyfont [optima]
As I now understand it, I have now defined the typescript for sans, but created a setup that sans is the fallback. I have also defined rm, tt and mm explicitly.

This does not work because you have no serif or math typescripts
for optima (\starttypescript [serif] [optima]) defined.

Yes, I was in doubt about that, but I guessed that the fallback maybe took care of that.

    \setups[font:fallback:sans]

mm should be modern anyway, I think (not that I need it, I only want the ss form anyway).

This has still nothing to do with the serif/roman style,
what the setup does is to map the slanted and boldslanted
alternatives to the italic files. You can achieve the same
with two additional \definefontsynonym lines for "SansSlanted"
and "SansBoldSlanted".

Wolfgang