n...@scorecrow.com schrieb am 02.05.2020 um 17:14:
I'm having trouble with \definehead behaving differently depending upon whether
I process a file that includes it via a \input statement versus a project
structure that calls it via an environment file referenced from a component
file.

Overall aim:

I currently produce a small circulation journal in Word that I'm hoping to
switch to ConTeXt. Each article is written by a different author and I
currently provide a Word template so they can see how their article will
eventually look and how long it is, etc. I want to do the same for the ConTeXt
version so I have created a template tex file they can simply \input at the top
of their article. Processing the single article gives the desired output. So
far so good.

When I receive the articles, I want to use the project/product/component
structure to allow me to produce an entire issue of the journal in one go. (I
would simply comment out the \input line and add \startproject \startcomponent
etc lines as necessary from each received article.)

Problem:

I've created a custom chapter heading, but the font size changes depending on
whether I'm processing the \input version of the article or the \component
version and I don't know why. Obviously, I would like the heading to be the
same in each case so that authors see what I see and vice versa.

Your simple version sets the bodyfont before \starttext

%%%% begin example
\setupbodyfont[termes,14pt]

\starttext

{\bfc Cheesy double boxed title}

\stoptext
%%%% end example

while your complexer version loads the bodyfont after \starttext (\startcomponent acts here as \starttext)

%%%% begin example
\starttext

\setupbodyfont[termes,14pt]

{\bfc Cheesy double boxed title}

\stoptext
%%%% end example

When you use a non standard font size (e.g. 14pt) size switches are sometimes ignored even with ConTeXt's fallback mechanism.

To get the correct size for the header you can either use a standard font size (14.4pt) or you add the following line before you set the global font for your document (ConTeXt does this by itself in most cases but it can fail).

    \definebodyfontenvironment [14pt]

I attached a slightly modified version of your project structure to show a different way to organize documents. What I would change is to use a better section name for each article, e.g. \Article (or \startArticle) is better than \MyTitle as first level header in each article.

Wolfgang