Floris van Manen schrieb am 03.05.2020 um 18:24:
I noticed that the same font test with the same lmtx versions on two
different linux machines with the same ibmplex fonts installed, return a
different rendering for the bold-italic.
That is only one produces the italics, the other doesn't.

I guess that is an example of true software magic,
or yet another evidence that one observation will invert the result of
the other ;-)

Even with this example:

\definefontfamily [mainface] [rm] [IBM Plex Serif]

%\definefontfamily [mainface] [rm] [IBM Plex Serif]
%  [tf=file:ibmplexserifthin,
%   it=file:ibmplexserifthinitalic,
%   bf=file:ibmplexserifregular,
%   bi=file:ibmplexserifitalic]

\definefontfamily [mainface] [ss] [IBM Plex Sans]

%\definefontfamily [mainface] [ss] [IBM Plex Sans]
%  [tf=file:ibmplexsansthin,
%   it=file:ibmplexsansthinitalic,
%   bf=file:ibmplexsansregular,
%   bi=file:ibmplexsansitalic]

%\definefontfamily [mainface] [tt] [IBM Plex Mono] [features=none]

\definefontfamily [mainface] [tt] [IBM Plex Mono]
  [features=none,
   tf=file:ibmplexmonothin,
   it=file:ibmplexmonothinitalic,
   bf=file:ibmplexmonoregular,
   bi=file:ibmplexmonoitalic]

\definefontfamily [mainface] [mm] [TeX Gyre Bonum Math]

\setupbodyfont[mainface]

\starttext

\rm
\tf Regular,