After trying Hraban's two suggestions to resolve the problem of a caption ('title=') for an image across a two-page spread (and I have tried a variety of adaptations of those two possible solutions), I still have not resolved the issue.

To repeat what Hans gave me, to resolve the 2-page spread in the first instance:

\startpostponing
    \setuppagenumbering[state=stop]
    \startspread
        \startplacefigure[location=here,title={This is a cow!}]
        \externalfigure[cow.pdf][height=\textheight]%
        \stopplacefigure
    \stopspread
    \setuppagenumbering[state=start]
\stoppostponing

The problem I have is that the figure has a title/caption much longer than 'This is a cow', and the end result is that it commences on the verso page but then runs across (repeats, part of it) on the recto page. Hraban suggests, first of all:

title={\hbox to \textwidth{\vbox{Your lengthy caption}}}

but this results in the first part of the caption properly located left-flushed on the verso page, and the other part right-flushed (and to the right of the figure, so running off the page) on the recto page.

The second solution is

title={\framedtext[width=\textwidth,frame=off,align=right]{Your lengthy
caption}}

and this almost works, but this time part of the caption repeats on the left  of the recto page more or less within the inner margin, so I can live with that, knowing that it will not be visible ultimately at the binding stage.

Of course, what I really want to achieve is that the caption (aka 'title') appears either on the verso or the recto page, but not both. Is that achievable? The actual coding for all this as I have it at the moment is as follows:

\startpostponing
    \setuppagenumbering[state=stop]
    \startspread
        \startplacefigure[location=here,title={{\sc Plates 12/13.} \switchtobodyfont[9.5pt] My very, very,_very long\\ caption for this_ figure}]
        \externalfigure[plate12-13.jpg][height=.8\textheight]%
        \stopplacefigure
    \stopspread
    \setuppagenumbering[state=start]
\stoppostponing

but

..._very long caption_
_for this _...

is repeated on the recto page. This is what I want to avoid.
Julian