On 5/22/2020 11:39, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
Am 22.05.2020 um 15:09 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster
<wolfgang.schuster.li...@gmail.com>:

Alan Bowen schrieb am 22.05.2020 um 14:33:
In my project, I process a single product file by enabling various modes. What
I would like to do is to vary the name of the output PDF file in each instance.
So, in processing a file, how does one go directly from prd_filename.tex to
myfilename.pdf rather than to prd_filename.pdf—assuming that it is possible?
Any tips or pointers to what I should be reading will be greatly appreciated.
1. Drop the weird (sorry Hraban) naming system and use myfilename for your
product.
I force nobody to use that.

2. Use the result option on the command line, e.g. "context --result=myfilename
prd_filename.tex".
But that still produces a "prd_filename.*" first and then renames it, making it
impossible to keep a "prd_filename.pdf". Or did that change recently?

My workflows are adapted to that behaviour: "prd_*.pdf" is just the temporary
version, none of those leaves my computer, but only nicely named PDFs (usually
MyProductName_yyyy-mm-dd.pdf).

3. Ask Hans to add the result option to the first line of the document which is
read by the context script before it creates the PDF.

% result="myfilename"
That contradicts the mode approach. It would be nice if we could set (or can
we?) the result from within the product, depending on a mode – since the
product is renamed only later anyway, that could be viable.

Best, Hraban

Why not simply wrap it in a script or use make? (I set up a makefile for each project, but scripts are fine for smaller stuff that has fewer dependencies. Make is available on Windows, so that is not an impediment.)

--
Rik