Jairo A. del Rio schrieb am 05.06.2020 um 05:28:
First:

[...]

Second:

The TeX command \S (section mark) seems to be insensitive to font size commands. I've tried with

\setuphead[section][sectionstarter=\S]

And the sign is smaller than the surrounding letters. I thought it was a matter of font design, but I've tried

\setuphead[section][sectionstarter=§]

And it worked. My question is: why? Is it a bug or a feature with respect to \S? I'm using ConTeXt MKIV version 2020.05.25 23:39 with LuaTeX

I think a side effect of backwards compatibility to plain TeX which provides \S. The reason for the odd output is that \S is defined as math symbol and size switches for them work only when you use them in math mode (you can try \m{\S}).

To get a symbol in the correct size you have to use the \sectionmark command or use §, there is no difference between both ways.

\starttext

\S \sectionmark §

\ss \S \sectionmark §

\stoptext