Pablo Rodriguez schrieb am 11.08.2020 um 14:53:
On 8/11/20 1:32 PM, Nicola wrote:
Hi,
first of all, let me say *thank you* for the vast improvements on
ConTeXt Garden! Browsing the documentation and finding stuff is so
much easier and pleasant than it used to be (also the site seems
faster).

Hi Nicola,

Garulfo invested a lot of time and effort in the new wiki layout and
contents.

Taco is always improving the software that runs the wiki (and the source).

Many thanks to them and to all other developers.

Thanks to the docs, dropcaps and protrusion have no secrets for me,
but I am still struggling with some basic tasks (see the document
below):

0. Push text to the bottom of the text area (see copyright).

Well, \setupalignment tweaks position in line (I’d rather say). Bottom
isn’t an option there.

Adding \null\vfill before the alignment does the job.

I think a makeup environment fits here better.

\definemakeup
  [copyright]
  [page=yes,
   pagestate=start,
   doublesided=no,
   align=flushright,
   bottom=]

\startmakeup[copyright]
Copyright © 2020 Author
\stopmakeup

1. Increase the space between Roman numbers and titles in the ToC.

distance with dimension is the key in \setuplist.

Correct but it's also important to set "width" to a value which is large enough to fit the number.

2. Vertically center the ToC (wrt to the text area).

Use a makeup for the TOC (if and only if it takes a single page).

3. Suppress page numbers and headers in all blank pages.

Break pages with \page[yes, blank].

Not the best solution for empty pages before a new chapter.

\setuphead
  [chapter]
  [page={yes,header,footer,right}]

4. Suppress headers in the front matter.

This would be my educated guess:

   \startsectionblockenvironment[frontpart]
      \setupheader[state=stop]
   \stopsectionblockenvironment

5. Style and position page numbers differently in the front and body
    matter (e.g., centered only in the front matter).

Alignment only (style comes with the proper option 😉):

   \setuppagenumbering[location={bottom, inmargin}]

   \startsectionblockenvironment[frontpart]
     \setuppagenumbering[location={bottom, centered}]
   \stopsectionblockenvironment

As my full document uses environments, I would like most setups to
be in the environment, if possible. E.g., is it possible to replace

     \setuphead[chapter][after={}]

(see below) with an environment setup that applies only to the ToC?

Either you create and set up a \chapter command for the TOC (such as
\chapterTOC) to use it only once, or you create a sectionblock that you
apply only for the TOC (and define the chapter settings for that
sectionblock).

I never used environments (other than the ones to typeset XML sources),
so this is my best option 😅.

A environment is nothing more than a external file for the style, the only difference between \input{...} and \environment[...] is that ConTeXt loads environment files only once.

Wolfgang