Rightly so, and as I was producing such an MWE (stripping away a lot of other 'clutter') I found what was causing the problem. At one stage, trying to solve the problem, I had created a MyChapter definition and had left a command referencing it in the following:

\setuphead
  [chapter][header=empty,alternative=middle,style=\tfa, numbercommand=\groupedcommand{}{\blank[1cm]},after={\blank[3cm]},command=\MyChapter]

Give that I was now no longer using MyChapter to solve the problem, that command=\MyChapter was causing a conflict. I removed it and, using your earlier

\setupheadertexts[\setups{header}]

\startsetups header
  \getmarking[chapter]
\stopsetups

and referencing it in the \chapter or \title items, was able to achieve the desired result in every way, including that missing  header on one page.
Thank you.