Nicola schrieb am 13.08.2020 um 18:06:
Thanks. That works with my MWE, but in my document I actually have
a chapter, and chapters start on the right page, even if I add page=no
to \setuppagenumbering:

Can you start a new thread when you have a new question. When other
people have the same problem they can see on the subject if this is
the right thread to find a solution for it.

     \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided,page=no]

The page key in \setuppagenumbering is used to add the final page
in a doublesided document to have a even number of pages.

     \definemakeup[ToC][align=middle,pagestate=start,doublesided=no]
     \starttext
     \startfrontmatter
       \startmakeup[ToC]
         \placecontent
       \stopmakeup
       \chapter{Preface}
     \stopfrontmatter
     \startbodymatter
       \dorecurse{10}{\chapter{Foo}}
     \stopbodymatter
     \stoptext

I have no idea how to allow chapters to start at arbitrary pages when
alternative=doublesided.

\setuphead[chapter][page=yes]

Wolfgang