Hi Julian,

Indeed you can modify slightly what Aditya said to obtain what you want: you
can put the overlay into a framed environment as in the following example.
Though, to my taste the number is a little bit too low…

%% begin example
\setuppagenumbering[state=start,location=footer]
\setuphead[chapter]
        [
        numberstyle={\switchtobodyfont[48pt]},
        numbercolor=gray,
        alternative=command,
        command=\MemoirChapter,
        ]

\define[2]\MemoirChapter
        {\framed[frame=off,width=broad,align=middle]
                {\startoverlay
                        {#1}
                        {#2}
                \stopoverlay}