After further testing guided by Hans’ suggestion, I now have

\setupexternalfigures[location=default]
\setuplayer[preset=rightbottom, method=overlay]{}
\setuppagenumbering[color=darkmagenta]
\starttext
\getfiguredimensions[HannahBW.pdf]

\dorecurse{\noffigurepages}{
\startTEXpage[pagestate=start]
\layeredtext[]
[boffset=3pc, roffset=3pc]
{\darkmagenta\subpagenumber}
{\externalfigure[HannahBW.pdf][page=#1]}
\stopTEXpage
}
\stoptext

which works, though it would arguably be better if there is a way to
prevent the subpage number on the first page of every included file.

Alan