Coming back to this complex:

> Am 20.09.2020 um 16:38 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm <te...@fiee.net>:
>
> Didn’t find a setup that changes the alignment, though.

The alignment problem is fixed, can’t remember in which release.

But I still struggle with those footnotes, unfortunately I can’t tell the
author “footnotes in captions are evil, don’t do that”. And I know it’s a
really tricky edge case.

FiCiFC work, if ...
- there’s enough space on the page where the float is placed
– page breaks don’t disturb the order of footnotes

The latter means:
If I use \placefigure[top]... in front of a paragraph full of footnotes, the
paragraph starts on one page and the image gets placed on the next, then the
footnote in the figure’s caption might have e.g. no.11, the paragraph uses
footnote no.12 etc. The first footnote(s) of the paragraph find their place on
the first page, the footnote(s) of the figure will never get placed, because
its numbering is out of order.

If I put \placefigure in the middle of the paragraph, I can keep the order of
footnotes and get to see the footnote of the figure, but the paragraph is split
into two.

- Would it be possible to do the footnote numbering after the float placement,
so that a footnote in a float keeps the reading order or numbers and gets its
place on the right page?

– As a workaround, how can I use \placefigure in the middle of a paragraph
without breaking it?

Hraban