On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 at 12:02, Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 10/17/2020 12:16 AM, mf wrote:
> > (sorry, I sent it before refining it)
> >
> > Il 16/10/20 20:57, Jano Kula ha scritto:
> >> Hello!
> >>
> >> Processing XML I want to manipulate content of XML elements inside Lua.
> >>
> >> I can define the Lua function xml.functions.name
> >> <http://xml.functions.name>(t), where processing happens, and use the
> >> command \xmlfunction{#1}{name} to pass the current node #1from ctx to
> >> lua as described in the xml-mkiv.pdf manual. To access the element
> >> content xml.text(t,"/element") Lua function is used.
> >>
> >> However, using the same function xml.text("#1",/element) directly
> >> inside Lua doesn't work for me. Node #1 is available, but not the
> >> content of /element.
> >
> > In your lua fragment, node #1 is available as "xml:name::4" or
> > "xml:name::6", but not as a lua table.
>
> when you're at the lua end you can use lxml.getid to access that node,
> assuming that you somehow pass #1 (being a string)
>

> > When node #1 is passed to a \xmlfunction, the function gets a lua table
> > as argument.
> >
> > To write direct lua code instead of a xmlfunction you'd need a function
> > to transform those "xml:name::..." into the lua tables representing the
> > xml elements in the xml tree.
> >
> > Which is what \xmlfunction does, so I wouldn't expect any performance
> gain.
>
> actually one has the same function at the lua end, so once you passed
> the node id you can use
>
> xml.first(lxml.getid("xml:name::4"),"foo/bar")
>
> and alike (the lxml.* function pipe back to tex)
>
> Hans

Hello,

just finished the exploration of the \xmlfunction definition based on
Massi's advice when Hans' answer arrived. This is the working code:

    \startluacode
        local node = "#1"
        local content = xml.text(*lxml.getid(*"#1"*)*,"/color")
        context.par() context("node: ") context(node)
        context.par() context("lua: ")  context(content)
    \stopluacode

Added a note to XML Lua <https://wiki.contextgarden.net/XML_Lua> wiki page.
I do understand the code better now, thank you.

Jano