> Am 05.11.2020 um 16:21 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez <oi...@gmx.es>:
>
> I’m not expert on typesetting, but I read somewhere (too long ago to be
> able to remember when) that printed papers should have wider outer
> margins to put your fingers on it.

In classical book layout, the two inner margins (2*backspace) should equal one
outer margin.

But this makes *only* sense with thread-bound books that you can open
completely.

In glued (perfect bound) books, the inner margin should be at least the same if
not bigger than the outer margins to get a similar view.

Modern books, independent of binding techniques, usually don’t use a classical
book layout, because that uses a lot of whitespace, i.e. more pages = higher
printing and shipping costs.

It’s still true that margins should be big enough for your fingers – but
depending on size and content of the book, different uses might suggest
different space placement. E.g. I’d use a big inner margin for guides that you
usually keep in one hand, thumb in the middle. For textbooks, a big bottom
margin makes sense, because you can put it in a stand. A song book / hymnal
you’d hold in both hands, so it needs big enough outer margins.

Hraban