On 11/28/2020 10:52 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
Dear Christian,

On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 at 20:50, Christian Prim wrote:

Is there a reason why the arm binaries for ARM Linux use version 2.29 of glibc?

They are being compiled on a Raspberry PI which kind of lacks
first-class 64-bit support (or at least that was the case when we set
up a builder on our build farm, about 9 months ago). I don't remember
seeing anyone even request those binaries before, and this is the
first complaint I see about the glibc-too-new issue on aarch64 (it was
common on the Intel platform, but there we can easily build on Debian
8 or 9).

I believe the RPI is currently running some recent version of Ubuntu
(it was set up by Hans; I would need to check to be sure, but it could
well be that it's 20.04).

Indeed, because older 64 bit made the machine freeze after a while. We run from usb (3) which is kind of evolving on the pi (at least we can now reboot the machine).

Judging from (random google hits)
     https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=243985
     https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/latest-raspberry-pi-os-update-may-2020/
it could be that May 2020 (which is precisely 6 months ago, in any
case later than when the builder was set up) has brought some better
news, an OS image that wouldn't require so much hacking to get it set
up and running.

Given the nature of these tiny machines running the latest greatest makes sense.

It's a pity that you didn't ask this question a few days ago, I
believe that Hans just reinstalled everything on that tiny device (SD
cards are a pain and like to wear out rather quickly if you keep
running build jobs and rewriting the same memory cells over and over
again; I thought we had set up an external disk properly, but well
...)

We have and previous versions then demansed some reflashing of the boiot eeprom and such (which effectively means that one has a os -- to do that -- on the tiny card and the external disk that we run the farm compilation on (I need to displace the machine and connect it to keyboard, screen etc to do that. Not really optimal for a headless approach.)

We could try again to get Debian 10 running on the RPI.

Not worth the trouble. I ran into too many hit for troubles with 64 bit while for ubuntu it sounded better.

One reason for doing the 64 bit was to see how well it works (4GB mem, performance, etc) just in case i want to use it for real.

Alternatively we could cross-compile, of course, but that's a bit more
painful to set up, and RPI 4 is certainly amazingly fast.

Or the user could update (can't one just symlink some lib to an older one? we only use simple stuff)

My actual debian buster installation is still on glibc-2.28. The x86_64 Linux
binaries also use the older 2.28-version which is widely used among many
distros. I would be very happy if I could install a 2.28-version on my ARM
Linux box. Else I have to compile my own glic... or my own mtxrun...

A luametatex binary is needed.

Out of curiosity: what hardware do you run your linux distro on?
(btw, i think a 32 bit arm bij should run on the 64 right, and the 32 bit is still old debian)