Hans,

As I said my desktop is elderly... it has a 2.8GHz processor, 16Gb of
DDR3 memory, and a couple of old SATA1 hard disks, and only 3Mb of CPU
cache...

... all well past its use by date for single threaded ConTeXt. ;-(

So one way to get better performance for ConTeXt is to invest in a new
ultra fast processor. Which will cost a lot, and use a lot of power
which has to be cooled, which uses even more power....

Alternatively, for the same costs (or less), I can buy cheaper slower
processors but have lots of threads (a cluster of Raspberry Pi 4 8Gb
cards)...

Alas this requires finding some way to parallelize ConTeXt....

(Fools rush in where Angels fear to tread ;-(

Regards,

Stephen Gaito