> On 3 Dec 2020, at 12:04, Stephen Gaito <step...@perceptisys.co.uk> wrote:
>
> 1. Are there any other known attempts to parallelize context?

Not that I know of, except for the tricks I mentioned in my earlier mail today.

> 2. Are there any other obvious problems with my approach?

The big problem with references is that changed / resolved references can
change other (future) references because the typeset length can be different,
shifting a following reference to another page, which in turn can push
another reference to yet another page, perhaps changing a page break, et
cetera.

That is why the meta manual needs five runs, otherwise a max of two runs would
always be enough (assuming no outside processing like generating a bibliography
or index is needed). So your —once approach may fail in some cases, sorry.

Actually, the meta manual really *needs* only four runs. The last run is the
one
that verifies that the .tuc file has not changed (that is why a ConTeXt document
with no cross-references at all uses two runs, and is one of the reasons for
the existence of the —once switch).

Depending on your docs, you may be able to skip a run by using —runs yourself.

Best wishes,
Taco