Here's a MWE that produces the oddly distributed columns:

\setuplayout[backspace=0.5in,width=4.5in,topspace=0.5in,
top=0in,topdistance=0in,
  header=0in,headerdistance=0in,bottom=0.25in,bottomdistance=0.125in,
  footer=0.25in,footerdistance=0.25in,height=7.75in]
\setuppagenumbering[location={footer,middle}]
\setupwhitespace[quarterline]
\setupbodyfont[pagella,9pt]
\definepapersize[digest][width=5.5in,height=8.5in]
\setuppapersize[digest]
\starttext
\startplacetable[location=force,title={Stun Levels}]
\definecolor[back-3][r=.8,g=.8,b=.8]
\setupTABLE[background=color,frame=off,framecolor=white]
\setupTABLE[row][odd][backgroundcolor=back-3]
\setupTABLE[row][1][topframe=on,bottomframe=on,framecolor=
black,rulethickness=0.75pt]
\setupTABLE[row][4][bottomframe=on,framecolor=black,rulethickness=0.75pt]
\bTABLE[width=broad]
\bTR\bTD {\bf Damage >\\Soak by:}\          \eTD\bTD {\bf
Stun\\Level}\eTD\bTD {\bf Stun\\Effects}       \eTD\eTR
\bTR\bTD 0 or less\eTD\bTD Unharmed         \eTD\bTD None.
                              \eTD\eTR
\bTR\bTD 1 to 8   \eTD\bTD Stunned          \eTD\bTD -1D on all actions for
2D rounds.                   \eTD\eTR
\bTR\bTD 9+       \eTD\bTD Severely\\Stunned\eTD\bTD The character is
knocked unconscious for 2D minutes.\eTD\eTR
\eTABLE
\stopplacetable
\stoptext

Naively, I expected the third column, which has the longest text, to absorb
more of the width, rather than the three columns getting about the same
width.

I added the following two lines before the \bTABLE:

\setupTABLE[column][1][width=6em]
\setupTABLE[column][2][width=6em]

This caused all the space not used by the first two columns to be used by
the third column.

Thinking about it a little more, the first result makes sense: there is
probably no way for ConTeXt to figure out that the third column should be
wider unless it is given some constraints.

Interestingly, groff's tbl has a Column Specifier, x or X, that, after
computing all the widths of columns without an x specifier, uses the
remaining line width for the columns with an x, distributing them equally
across the columns with x specifiers.  (I often use groff for
quick-and-dirty documents, or where ConTeXt is not installed; I use ConTeXt
for documents that are more complex, or ones that need their appearance
customized.)  This is particularly useful when one column has paragraph
length text contents, and the other columns don't.

I don't suppose there is a bTABLE equivalent?  Or an equivalent in one of
ConTeXt's other table types?

T. Kurt Bond, tkurtb...@gmail.com, https://tkurtbond.github.io