On 12/10/2020 7:04 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
On Thu, 10 Dec 2020, Otared Kavian wrote:

Hi Aditya,
Thank you very much !
That's great indeed, you gave me an elegant solution.
One more question, in order for me to understand a little more: when defining a new dotlabel as you do, might it not conflict with the internal definitions of dotlabel in Metafun in some other place?
Maybe it is safer for me to call it something like  « dotshapelabel » ?

In general, I agree. Redefining internal macros has the advantage that your
code doesn't have to change. See, for example:

it depends a bit ... redefing dotlabel in a compatible way is kind of ok, but using/redefining \foo_bar_something_internal is a real bad idea as that is not part of the interface (okay, i know that there are macro packages out there where it's part of the concept to redefine low level stuff for styles but in context we should try to avoid it ... we should then adapt the high level interface to suport something)

it also depends who does it ... i know that aditya knows the internals well enough to deal with it

(one of my concerns is always that while we try to come up with efficient solutions it's easy to make things inefficient but that's not the case here ... unless of course we want to nurture the 'context is slow' meme)