Hello list, and developers in particular,

I note that thinrules (and its setup, setupthinrules, and relatives thinrule and hairline) does not have a width setting, and always sets a rule (or rules) the full width of the text area (less any text set on the same line.

No problem, but I do see (non-authoratative) references in the mailing list to such a parameter, and more problematically, I note that the default ConTeXt template for Pandoc includes the line:

\setupthinrules[width=15em] % width of horizontal rules

Before reporting an issue to the Pandoc team, I just want to confirm that this is, in fact, both the case (as reading the source and my testing indicate) and the intent (which I cannot attest).

I would further suggest that Pandoc should be using setupblackrule with appropriate height, depth, rulethickness, and width. I suspect that Pandoc typography is not sensitive to control of the actual placement relative to the baseline, as ConTeXt supports, but a pointer to a clear explanation of the interaction of height, depth, and rulethickness would be welcome.

--
Rik