Indeed the no-break spaces were the problem, something I had quite overlooked (so have made a 'message to brain' not to overlook this in the future). I did know about the use of %, but if one searches on the Contextgarden Wiki for \nobreakspace, one finds nothing. Clearly a TeX command that one just has to know!

Once again thank you for gently moving me in the right direction!

Julian