On 2/11/2021 9:20 AM, jbf wrote:
I appreciate the response.

However, you are light years ahead of me in understanding ConTeXt, so I don't quite know what to do with the info you have given me! I have difficulty understanding your comment 'This is not interfaced via setuphead *or* setuplangauge *or* because the converter is not configured that way'. The 'or' throws me out, I'm afraid. Were you going to suggest somewhere else?

I assumed that I would need to add \def\verbosenumberconnector{--} as a definition in the preamble (and have), but where do I call it in? Not in \setuphead[chapter] that is for sure, but I need to call on it somewhere. Where?
You don't call it, just define it (so no [setuphead=somekeyword={-}]):

\def\verbosenumberconnector{-}

\setuphead
  [chapter]
  [conversion=Word]