Regarding the plan of preparing a list of suppressed ligatures: It seems
possible to provide a word list that could just be included with input. OTOH,
you'll have to include correct hyphenation for all the words in the list. Is it
possible to only define the correct ligature handling in such a list without
having to supply hyphenation rules as well?

Denis